Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Farewell

Today was Joshua's farewell.  OK, so technically, we don't do "farewells" anymore at church, but Curtis, Joshua and I spoke and the kids did a musical number, so it was still rather like a farewell, but without the name.  ;o)

Curtis talked about strengthening spiritual "muscles," I talked about teaching the gospel at home, and Joshua spoke about his role as a missionary.  I thought my menfolk did a great job, and I was proud of all the wonderful things Joshua said about being a missionary.  I know he's feeling a little scared, but I also know he's eager and enthusiastic, and I'm grateful for that.

Loundia, Lily, Maizie, Sofie, Cora, Jackson and Beck sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth" (my mom played piano) and it was wonderful.  At home as they practiced they would really belt it out, and I was hoping they would do the same in Sacrament meeting.  They were a little more reserved, but they still did a great job.

After church, we had our friends, the H family, over for lunch.  They came all the say from Billings to spend this special day with us, and we loved having them here.  Our kids haven't seen each other in months, but it was as if they'd never been apart.  There was much hugging and kissing and playing and even a little fighting.  ;o)

The new sister missionaries and Zoe's friend B also came for lunch, so we fed 24 people!  Not too shabby!

After lunch, we had an open house for Joshua.  I'd been baking for days, and my mom and sister also provided some treats.  We had a lot of people come over, including a lot of Joshua's friends, and it was a great way to spend the afternoon.  I think Joshua really felt loved.

My emotions have been all over the place the last couple of weeks.  I can't help but think "this is the last time I'm going to be able to do this with him for a while" with so many of our activities.  I've grown so used to seeing him outside painting, and I keep thinking about how after next week, he won't be out there anymore.  He won't be there to go to lunch with me, to help me with projects, to carry in groceries, to talk about my day with in the evening, to sing with at church, to pray with and to laugh with.  Some days I'm just weepy and depressed, but today has been a good day and I made it through without crying.

I know that he's going to be a fabulous missionary.  I know it.  He's a rule follower with a strong sense of right and wrong.  He's a people person who puts others at ease and can relate to them easily.  He has a strong testimony.  He sets and achieves goals.  I know there will be people he will encounter who need to hear the gospel from his lips - people who might otherwise not have accepted the message if it came from another source.  I'm so grateful that he's willing and worthy to go, and I know that once the dust settles, he'll be just fine.  As for me, the jury's still out...  ;o)

Here are some pictures from today.

Our kids with the H family kids.  Just like old times!

Joshua's friend, M.  He's leaving to serve a mission in Washington DC 2 weeks after Joshua leaves.

Our adorable new sister missionaries

The kids love to tell Beck to open his eyes really wide.  This is what we get!  ;o)

M, hanging out with Jack and Beck.  That's M's dad behind him.

Our friends K and F

Loundia, Curtis and Joshua

Me with my dad, mom and sister, J

A houseful!  (And Jonah making a dorky face.  He does that.  Often.)

Me and Joshua 
Joshua and Curtis

Lunch with the H family

Pillsbury Doughboy!

We ended up with an even bigger boatload of kids!



My sister, J and her hubby, J

Joshua, having a serious discussion with a friend, and goofy A, pretending he was part of it.  ;o)

My weird children!

Lunch!

Zoe and Jonah.  There's that face again!

J and Loundia

Curtis and Maizie

Zoe and Joshua 
The spread.  Our friend G is keeping an eye on the goodies.  

Me and my menfolk 
Joshua and Teffy

Our kids saying goodbye to the H kids.  DJ gave everyone a hug and a smooch, including kissing a very surprised Beck on the lips!  



Sofie and DJ

1 comment:

  1. What a bittersweet time for you. Love all the photos! Looks like it was a fun day. :)

    ReplyDelete