Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Weekly menu

Here's today's list of produce:

peaches
nectarines
mango plums
green plums or pluots I don't know the name of ;o)
avocados
tomatoes
black grapes
pears
grapefruit
yellow apples

leeks
potatoes
curly leaf lettuce
frisee
corn
red bell peppers
green bell peppers
light green bell peppers
Hatch green chilies (TONS!)
onions
garlic
broccolette

Plus I already had strawberries, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, bananas, butternut squash and acorn squash.  I'm going to have to buy a couple more packages of mushrooms, some broccoli, and buy or beg a big zucchini from someone for our fajitas.

I roasted all my chilies - maybe 30 of them? - and now I'm going to dice them and freeze them for later meals.

Here's the menu for the coming week.  I can't remember where I got Sunday's recipe, so I'll paste it below rather than linking to it.  The rest of the meals don't really have recipes, and Thursday's tamales are some frozen veggie/bean ones I got at Natural Grocers.

One last thing - I don't cook with honey very often and usually substitute agave nectar, but I do use it once in a while.  Some vegans don't use it at all, which I respect.  I'm sure you could make the soy curls recipe with agave if you want to.



Honey-Sesame Soy Curls


3 cups soy curls, soaked 10 minutes in warm water and drained
salt and pepper
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup of water

Serve with:
Hot cooked rice
Sesame seeds
Scallions, thinly sliced

Instructions:

Very lightly season the soy curls with salt and pepper and place them in the slow cooker.

Whisk the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, canola and sesame oils, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes together in a mixing bowl and pour over the soy curls. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.

Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer the soy curls to a rimmed plate or bowl and cover lightly with foil, leaving the pan juices in the slow cooker.

Stir the cornstarch into the water with a fork or small whisk until dissolved. Whisk the mixture into the pan juices in the slow cooker. Re-cover the slow-cooker and turn the heat to high. Let it cook and thicken for 15 minutes.

Carefully transfer the soy curls back into the slow-cooker. Serve the curls and sauce over the hot cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.



No comments:

Post a Comment