Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Joshua's email - 12/17




WOOOOO! This past week has been BUSY!  We taught S almost every day and got her ready for her baptism on Saturday!  She got sick a few days before, so we were a little worried, but everything worked out and her baptism went really well!  There was a good turnout and she really enjoyed the baptism, and the talks given were really powerful!

After my email last week, we went to the store and bought food and light bulbs, since we only had 2 working light bulbs out of like 9 in our apartment.  While we were at the store, I had my first encounter with someone who wanted to Bible bash.  It was a man with a slightly questionable mentality and appearance who came up to me while Elder G was busy looking at something in the aisle of the store, haha.  He tried to argue with me and I told him what we know to be true and then told him to have a nice day as we walked away.

Tuesday, we had a Zone Training meeting, and we learned a lot about how to make and keep appointments.  Elder G have been applying those principles and we have already seen blessings from them.  Sometimes people seem very interested in our message so we set up return appointments, and when we show up, they aren't there.  That's been happening a lot lately, so the training meeting was really helpful.  It felt really weird being there with lots of new people in our zone.  Elder Aubrey was one of Elder G's and my favorite elders, and he's not here anymore, so it feels a little empty, haha.  After the training meeting, I went on exchanges with Elder W in Beaver Dam.  It's a tiny little town with a branch of hardly any people.  The town is about twice the size of Miles City, but the church is probably a third of the size.

After the exchange on Wednesday night, Elder G and I talked for a little bit about our exchanges.  Elder G told me that he went to dinner at a ward member's house, and his wife talked all about her mission in Guatemala.  She talked about how the First Presidency had possibly discovered the Waters of Mormon, and how each of them came to visit to know for sure that it truly was the Waters of Mormon that they had discovered.  She said that each of them unanimously agreed that the body of water, was in fact the place where Alma baptized the people in Mosiah 18.  CRAZY!!!!!!  I felt chills all over my body as Elder G. told me that.  He said that the member even has pictures of the place, and that the mission president at the time even allowed the missionaries to go there to study.

Later, we got S's baptism all set up for Saturday after we taught her the remainder of the commandments.  S is WAY solid, and I was so excited for her!  Our Ward Mission Leader got the opportunity to baptize her, and I got the opportunity to confirm her a member of the church.  I was really nervous before church yesterday, because I had no idea what I was going to say!  I said the confirmation part of the blessing probably a thousand times in my head, but I wasn't sure what would come out of my mouth as I blessed her.  When the time came, we went in front of the church and we put our hands on her head and I felt like I wasn't even the one talking! The words were just coming out of my mouth, and it was crazy how powerful it was.

That's about it from this week. On Saturday, I got my Christmas package from my family that I've been waiting for!  We went to the post office to pick it up, and one of the ward members, Sister C was there.  I was expecting to get a relatively small box, but my eyes opened wide when the post office worker handed me an ENORMOUS box!  I said the first thing that came into my head, which happened to be, "Wow! I'm glad that my mom finally sent me the Xbox and flatscreen TV I've been asking for! Now we'll have something to do all day, Elder G!" (obviously kidding) and Sister C BUSTED UP laughing!  She could NOT stop laughing, especially because she knows how busy we've been with S and K lately.  HAHAHA, it was probably one of the funniest things that happened this week.

Anyway I'll leave you all with a quote from one of my favorite talks by Jeffrey R. Holland!

"Don't you give up. Don't you quit.  You keep walking.  You keep trying.  There is hope and happiness ahead... It will be all right in the end.  Trust God and believe in good things to come."

Elder Whicker

No comments:

Post a Comment