Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Weekly menu

Today has been an unusual day because I've only been out of my bedroom for a couple of hours and haven't left the house at all.  Starting at about noon, I pulled all the Christmas presents out of our secret hiding place in the attic and sorted them into boxes, one for each person.  Then I wrapped everything that will need to be mailed, plus a few extras.  I got a nice head start, but I still have hours and hours of wrapping ahead of me.  I hate to even think about it!  Anyway, because I was doing all that, Curtis went to get our Bountiful Baskets and is working on putting it away as I type.

Here's what we got:

2 box mushrooms
9 lemons
8 green bell peppers
2 cucumbers
4 pomegranate
18 "unhealthy"persimmon (I'm going to make persimmon cake out of them)
4 zucchini
24 bananas (half of them ruined by Beck when he tore them apart)
2 cantaloupe
22 apples
2 onions
2 garlic
17 tomatoes
28 carrots
16 grape fruit
6 broccoli
2 heads lettuce
4 romaine lettuce
2 papaya

And here's what we already had:

blueberries
blackberries
strawberries
raspberries
yellow cherry tomatoes
portabella mushrooms
persimmons
orange, red, and yellow bell peppers
butternut squash
tangerines
granny smith apples
honeydew melon


If anyone wants our Ethiopian recipes from Sunday, just comment or email me and I will send them.  We do them from memory, so I don't really have anything written up.  Frankly, the only real recipe I'm using this week is the one below, and I'm planning to modify this by adding cashew cream.  The Stromboli will be made with homemade pizza dough, jarred pasta sauce, bell peppers, mushrooms, and Daiya mozzarella cheese.  I might throw in some veggie pepperoni, too.  I'll roll it up and bake it.  The curry sauce I'm using is some pre made stuff I picked up at Costco, which just happened to be vegan.  It's made with coconut milk and was in the refrigerated section.  The stir fry will be made with whatever veggies I have left, and served over rice.  My stir fry sauce is water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic and sugar, but I just kind of eyeball everything.  Sometimes I add a little cornstarch to thicken it.

The pasta recipe below is from Vegan Unplugged, which I just received this week.  If you're LDS and vegan (or anyone else who's vegan and is working on building up a store of food), this is an EXCELLENT resource.  Forget storing only hundreds of pounds of dried beans and rice.  You can each pretty well (and still vegan!) from your food storage!

No comments:

Post a Comment