Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

weekly menu

It's been a while since I posted a picture of my Bountiful Baskets haul, so here's one for old time's sake.  :o)


As you can see, there's a LOT of of zucchini, so even though we just had roasted veggie burritos last week, I'm doing it again for this week.  I also grated a bunch so I could make zucchini bread, and some of them are going to my friend.  She's also getting the fennel and some celery.

I still have quite a bit of strawberry jam from the last batch I made, so I think I'm going to cut and freeze most of the strawberries for smoothies and stuff.


Here's what came in our baskets:

grapefruit
oranges
apples
kiwi
bananas
strawberries

rainbow carrots
leaf lettuce
asparagus
roma tomatoes
cherry tomatoes
zucchini
mushrooms
swiss chard
celery
fennel
mini sweet peppers

And here's what I still have from previous weeks, plus a couple items from the grocery store:

potatoes
sweet potatoes
butternut squash
acorn squash
spaghetti squash
onions/garlic
apple slices
mandarin oranges
avocados
mangos


I forgot to put it on the menu, but on Wednesday we're having roasted asparagus with our BLTs.  And by BLT I mean tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and Daiya havarti cheese.  SO yummy!

The grilled veggie burritos from last week link back to the original recipe, so look there if you're dying for instructions.  I'll be using zucchini, mushrooms, frozen red peppers, and onions.  For the curry, I'm using a new organic jarred sauce I found at Natural Grocers, and I'll add chard, potatoes, frozen cauliflower, and carrots and serve it over Basmati rice.  I have some naan in the freezer, but I think I'll save it for another time.  So the only real recipes are these two:

Coconut rice with black beans, plantains and mango salsa  This is a recipe my friend Heidi turned us on to.  It's DELICIOUS!  We use pre-made salsa, with some fresh diced mango sprinkled on top.

Pizza Casserole  (This is not even remotely healthy, but as you know, we don't very often eat a bunch of processed fake meat stuff like this.  Once in a while is OK in my book.)  :o)

1 (13-16 ounce) package uncooked rotini pasta
1 lb soy Italian sausage
1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce
1 (16 ounce) container vegan ricotta cheese
1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained (optional)
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
12 ounces shredded Daiya mozzarella cheese
2 (3 ounce) packages sliced veggie pepperoni

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X13 casserole dish.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.

In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown, drain if needed. (Simply slice if not using the type with removable plastic casings.)  Mix in the cooked pasta and pasta sauce. Pour into prepared casserole dish.  Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in a little water in a small pan until soft, drain.

In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, olives, mushrooms, peppers, and mozzarella cheese.

Spoon the cheese mixture over the sausage and pasta mixture. Top with pepperoni slices.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment