Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

weekly menu


Sorry there are no recipes for this week.  With all we've had going on with Thalia and me being gone for so many days, this is the best I can do.  I will confess that the falafel balls are coming from a mix this time, and I plan to bake them rather than fry them.  I'm making the tzatziki sauce from plain almond yogurt.  I have some really yummy soft pita bread I got at Costco that we'll stuff everything into, along with some lettuce.  Okonomiyaki are Japanese pizza-like fried pancake-type things.  There are a few vegan recipes out there, but I'm thinking I'll use a traditional recipe and just replace the eggs with flax meal.  It's my favorite egg replacer for things that need a good binder.  I'll be mixing napa cabbage, green onion and maybe bok choy into the batter, then topping with mushrooms and bacon (which get fried into the pancake).  Then we'll top with nori flakes, mayo (Kewpie is the traditional kind, but we'll use Vegenaise) and homemade okonomiyaki sauce.

For the pizzas, I have pre-made brick oven flatbreads for the base.  I'll use the white cheese sauce that I often use in recipes and have posted many times here before (use the search box and look for baked ziti for the recipe).  Then we'll top with arugula, mushrooms and asparagus, all of which we have in ample supply this week.

My lettuce wrap sauce is a little different every time, but usually it's soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic, sugar, Sriracha, and a little corn starch to thicken.  This time I may make a peanut-y sauce, but I always have to make separate sauce for my peanut-allergic Zoe when I do that.  Anyway, even though we don't like to use too many processed vegan "faux meats" in our meals, I'll be using Boca veggie crumbles for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment