Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Creamy black bean taquitos recipe

This morning I decided to make the tamales and taquitos I had planned for tomorrow for tonight's dinner instead. The taquitos recipe was inspired by one we used to make all the time in our pre-vegan days, and I've adapted it in a few different ways to make it meatless and without dairy. This is a meal we never get tired of. They are SO good! I always make a boatload of them, and if you make extra and freeze them (before baking), you can have a great main dish ready in a matter of minutes. I don't often make enough to freeze because that is a serious boatload around here, but I have done it and they turn out just as good.




Here's my usual version:

1/3 C (3 oz) vegan cream cheese (I like Follow Your Heart best, but I used Toffuti today)
1/4 C green salsa (I use Herdez or homemade)
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
2 T sliced green onions (I just realized I forgot to put these in tonight, and I had them all chopped and ready to go! Argh!)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 package chicken-style seitan, torn into small shreds (or Yves meatless "hamburger" crumbles work well. I've also used diced potatoes in place of any "meat")
1 C grated pepperjack cheese (we use Daiya)
1 can diced green chilies (I used our own roasted chilies - yum!)
1 package small corn tortillas
olive oil spray

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add the green onions. Add seitan or meatless crumbles and cheese and combine well.

Wet a clean dish towel and place it across a plate. Put a stack of 10-12 tortillas on the towel, and fold the sides up over the tortillas so they are completely covered. Heat in microwave for about 2 minutes to steam the tortillas. Leave the other tortillas covered while filling each one.

Place 2-3 T of mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can.

Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and bake 15-20 minutes and the ends start to get golden brown.

Serve with vegan sour cream, guacamole and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment