Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A glimpse of the future

Last Thursday, Zoe and I packed up and drove across the state to Missoula so she could attend a college tour and orientation at the University of Montana.  We had been adamant that she stay here and attend school for two years and then transfer somewhere else, but once we got there and learned more about the campus and programs, I began to realize how perfect the place is for her.  It's hard to think that she may end up there and be so far away from us (I know 7 hours isn't a big deal to some people), but I think she'll be happy there and do well.  She wants to study dance and either anthropology or archeology, and UM has great programs in these areas.  Their fine arts program is amazing.  I was so impressed.  She will also get a small scholarship for participating in the marching band (Zoe plays piano, percussion and trombone).

It's hard to think that as our family gains a new family member, two have already flown the coop and Zoe will be close behind them.  Our oldest daughter works and goes to school in another city, and our oldest son will be leaving to serve a two-year mission for our church this summer.  He lives in the dorms and will be graduating with his associate's degree this May.

It's weird to be entering this phase of my life.  It seems like just yesterday that I was nursing babies and chasing toddlers.  When I think that grandchildren could be a mere 5-10 years away, I feel downright panicked.  Ain't nobody better call me grandma!  ;o)

Anyway...  Zoe and I had a great time.  We explored as much as we could in the amount of time we had and ate ourselves silly.  UM is very accommodating of vegans and vegetarians in their food service establishments (we're talking full-on vegan entrees) and their little grocery store.  And we had great sushi downtown one night, yummy Italian for lunch the next day (where I was provided with a special vegan dish that the chef created from scratch for me), and Mongolian barbecue the next night.  We were also able to meet Joshua in Livingston to watch his soccer game and then bring him home with us.  It was a blast.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment