Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

weekly menu

We didn't get Bountiful Baskets this week because all the site coordinators were gone for Easter, so I was forced to fend for myself at the grocery store.  After three different trips, I managed to get about 75% of what I needed.  So disappointing and annoying!  I'm so grateful for Bountiful Baskets making my shopping and meal planning so much easier.

Here's our menu for the week.  I know that what we have planned for Easter dinner might not seem "special" enough, but it's something that we all LOVE and I just couldn't think of anything better.  The pies are super yummy - I know because I licked the spatula after scooping all the pie filling out of the pot.  It's my right.  ;o)


Roasted veggie/lime rice/black bean burritos
Lemon icebox pie
Grilled cheese - yes, I know you don't need a recipe for grilled cheese, but if you're here because you're vegan, you should trust me when I tell you this - use Daiya havarti cheese and you'll die of yumminess!


Baked ziti

Ingredients:
1 jar pasta sauce
1 recipe “cheese” sauce (below)*
16 oz ziti (or other larger tube-shaped pasta)
2 cups shredded vegan mozzarella (if desired)
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley

Optional: mushrooms, bell peppers, or other veggies

For "cheese" sauce, blend the following ingredients in a food processor or blender
1 cup silken tofu (the shelf-stable, boxed kind - can be any texture)
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup dairy-free plain soy milk or almond milk
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 T. tahini
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt, or to taste
2 T. corn starch

Directions:
Heat oven to 375.  Boil and drain ziti and dump into 9x13 casserole dish.  Pour in pasta sauce and stir to combine.  Pour cheese sauce evenly over the top of the pasta, and top with shredded cheese, and finally with parsley.  Cover with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly, removing foil for last 10 minutes of baking.

*I use this cheese sauce for lasagna and eggplant parmesan, too.  It’s yummy!


Tacos - we're using Yves soy crumbles.  We try not to eat too much soy, but we really like these crumbles for things like tacos and chili, and it's non-GMO soy.
Pizzas - we're using flatbread and will top them with peppers, veggie pepperoni, mushrooms, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment