Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

To Thalia

Dear Thalia,

I just finished tidying up the kitchen and got the dishes and laundry washing.  Later I'll be going to the grocery store and running some errands.  Thinking about what I have to do today got me thinking about what your day was like.  Since it's nearly 11:00 pm, I'm hoping you're asleep right now, but what did you do earlier in the day?  Did you have a bath?  Did someone help you get dressed, or can you do that all by yourself?  What did you eat for breakfast?  Do you eat the same thing every day?  What did you learn about at school today?  Did you do anything fun?

It's amazing to me that I can know so little about you, but love you SO much.  I guess it's because I know the important things:  I know that God helped us find you, I know that you need a mommy and daddy, and I know that your whole family will adore you.  I know those things, and I know I love you.

Still, I wonder about your likes and dislikes, your temperament, your personality, your strengths and your weaknesses.  I wonder if you'll prefer baths over showers, if I'll have to start making congee for breakfast everyday because you'll refuse to eat anything else, and which sibling you might want to share a room with.  I wonder if you have a favorite color, if you like music and dancing, and who you feel most connected to in your children's home.  I wonder if you'll respond to sign language and if we can finally get you talking (you're coming to the right mama for that!) and how you'll like school once you get here.

Last night our family went to play frisbee on a big grassy field.  It was so much fun to have everyone there, laughing and playing together.  I can't wait to have you with us on those occasions, to see your sweet face at the dinner table, and to snuggle you to sleep.  I can't wait to hold your hand and hug you and kiss you and dance with you while we blast music and clean up the dinner mess together.  I can't wait to see you playing with your siblings, learning to ride a bike, and helping to make cookies.

I hate that we have to be apart for so long, but we're doing everything we can to get to you as quickly as possible.  In the meantime, we trust that our Father in Heaven will watch over you and keep you safe.  We pray every day that you are happy and healthy and loved.  When the day comes that you are finally in our arms, we will hang on and never let you go.  You will be an orphan no more, my sweet baby girl, and will be part of your forever family.  You will NEVER be alone again.

I love you.

Love,

Mommy

2 comments: